1. Paul VI (1-0)–Started its season with a 122-35 victory over The Heights. Three this week including a cool one with Kevin Harris’ Westfield squad (father to Darren at PVI). Sidwell Friends on Sunday, too.
2. O’Connell (3-0)–O’Connell has been as good as advertised so far this year, as its new players and returnees seem to be meshing well. Don’t forget how good Jadyn Harris is, either.
3. South Lakes (3-0)–Seahawks have also been as good as advertised, beating their first three opponents fairly handily. The defense spearheaded by Brian Kennedy is fierce, only allowing about 42 points a game so far.
4. Bishop Ireton (2-0)–Sophomore Silas Devonish led Ireton to an impressive opening win versus then-#15 Hayfield. Cool local matchups vs. Potomac School, Flint Hill, and Alexandria City this week.
5. Patriot (0-1)–Lost its difficult opener 59-46 at Woodside down in the 757. Already a district battle with Gainesville slated for later this week.
6. Fairfax Christian (3-0)–Has looked impressive so far, with Frank Siaca Bey and Eli Adegbenro leading the onslaught inside.
7. Highland (6-3)–Maybe we short-sold Highland a little, after watching the Hawks win Sleepy Thompson. Their bench is solid, and the starting five already has impressive chemistry.
8. Alexandria City (0-0)–Quirkily tumbles to #8 (from five) after being idle. Into it now with a solid Oakton team and then an Ireton team looking for revenge for last year’s Titans win.
9. West Potomac (1-0)–Looked good taking care of Langley in their season opener. One of the most underrated games on the schedule is tonight, when the Wolverines visit #10 Tuscarora.
10. Tuscarora (0-0)–As mentioned, a really good one tonight with West Potomac in the Huskies’ season-opener. Should be a closely-fought battle.
11. W.T. Woodson (2-1)–Gave South Lakes a nice battle at home before ultimately falling by double-digits. The Cavaliers are very balanced, but will be in a lot of close games, as their three-point win over Riverside demonstrated.
12. Freedom-Woodbridge (2-0)–Not challenged in its first two games, winning by an average of about 35 points. Will be challenged a little more this week with West Springfield and Langley, but still the significant favorite in both games.
13. St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (2-1)–Despite falling to Highland in the title game of their tournament, the Saints showed they have the talent and potential to climb these rankings with two very impressive wins prior.
14. Potomac Falls (4-0)–Panthers played at the Gar-Field and Broadway Tournaments to open their season and were not seriously challenged. Four more games this week including a solid Loudoun Valley squad tonight.
15. Fairfax (2-0)–Very good start to the Lions season, as they won two in the Marshall Tip-Off. Margad Choijilsuren is a tough loss, but it looks like Fairfax will have very nice, balanced scoring this season.
16. South County (3-0)–Had no trouble in its season-opening games out at Heritage and with a scrappy W-L team. Will likely have more trouble with #9 West Potomac in two days, however.
17. Marshall (3-0)–Has looked good with comfortable wins to open the season. The defense is thus far allowing opponents an average of 44 points per game.
18. Seton (4-0)–Conquistadors have looked awesome so far, playing generally solid teams. They beat Virginia Academy by 16, and Madison and Osbourn by 30 and 42 points, respectively.
19. Forest Park (1-0)–Won its season opener, now road tests await versus dangerous teams in Gainesville and Battlefield. We believe the Bruins can beat just about anyone, but those are the kind of games you find a way to win if you’re a Nova Nineteen team.
Others Receiving Votes–Hayfield (0-1), Flint Hill (2-0), Potomac (0-0), Stone Bridge (0-0), Westfield (1-0), Potomac School (2-1)