NOVA NINETEEN (updated 1/14/19)
1. Woodbridge (12-1)–Host Colgan Friday night. Adaija Bender is an athletic forward with a lot of upside–she appears to be improving by the week.
2. Paul VI (13-4)–Got Ashley Owusu back but the Panthers still haven’t really been at full strength all season. You wouldn’t know it from their record. At #10 O’Connell this week.
3. Edison (11-1)–Keep rolling in the National and can spread the floor like maybe no other team around. Early games at Wakefield and at #12 Marshall this week.
4. Bishop Ireton (11-5)–Key win over #10 O’Connell last week. Have had some unfortunate injuries, but the young talent seems to be stepping up around Akunna Konkwo.
5. Freedom-South Riding (13-0)–Can #14 Loudoun Valley test the Eagles on Wednesday?
6. Oakton (14-2)–Off until the big Concorde showdown at #13 Madison on Friday. This is a team with a solid rotation that plays good defense and won’t beat itself.
7. West Springfield (12-2)–The most competitive district top to bottom, boys or girls, is this year’s ladies’ Patriot District. West Springfield got two nice wins over Woodson and South County after a loss to Fairfax to grab a share of the early lead.
8. South County (12-2)–Also atop the Patriot along with Fairfax, Lake Braddock, and West Springfield. Meet the Rebels and Bruins this week to close out the first half of the district schedule.
9. T.C. Williams (8-4)–Lost to Osbourn Park and a Herndon team that is suddenly playing great. Will look to right the ship against Annandale and Hayfield this week.
10. O’Connell (10-5)–We love the Knights’ scoring balance and competitive fire–they have one of the better 8-9 person rotations around. They are capable of upsetting #2 PVI on Thursday, but it’ll be tough.
11. Tuscarora (11-2)–Interesting battle against 12-2 Potomac Falls on Tuesday.
12. Marshall (11-3)–Get their third crack at #3 Edison this Friday. Held Chantilly to 25 points last Friday in a double-digit win.
13. Madison (11-5) –Can beat anyone if they’re hitting from three but very vulnerable if they’re not. The Oakton game Friday is huge.
14. Loudoun Valley (10-1)–Will get a huge measuring stick this week against #5 Freedom.
15. South Lakes (11-3)–Another victim of suddenly resurgent Herndon, the Seahawks are nevertheless in good shape having only lost that one recently. Yorktown and Langley this week.
16. Osbourn Park (11-4)–Fell to Stonewall but defeated T.C. Williams last week. Battle-tested Jackets face Patriot Friday night.
17. McLean (10-3)–The only undefeated Liberty team after just two games and after dispatching rival Langley. Play Yorktown and Washington-Lee this week.
18. Stonewall Jackson (12-3)–A nice win over Osbourn Park puts the Raiders in early contention to win the Cedar Run district. This is a team that will get more and more dangerous as its new parts get used to playing with one another.
19. Robinson (11-4)–The Rams lose a double OT heart-breaker to #8 South County. There’s no time to be sad–right back at it with Woodson and West Springfield this week.
Also receiving votes–W.T. Woodson (10-5), Potomac Falls (12-2), Flint Hill (7-5), Fairfax (7-6), Lake Braddock (8-6), Herndon (6-7)