NOVA NINETEEN (updated 1/14/19)
1. Paul VI (11-3)–Had an amazing 25-point victory over Gonzaga on the road with sophomore Trevor Keels going for 24. Thursday the return match with #2 O’Connell.
2. O’Connell (13-4)–Been rolling just like PVI with a great comeback win over St. John’s this weekend. Knights can win the WCAC–just have to get over that PVI hump first.
3. Flint Hill (14-1)–They’re not always doing it in convincing fashion but the Huskies are playing some solid teams and just getting it done. They’re going to be tough to stop.
4. St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (11-2)–Like Flint Hill, rolling as well with four victories since our last poll. Virginia Bracketbuster this weekend.
5. Patriot (13-1)–Did fall to Cox HS for its first loss, but still looking strong with opening Cedar Run road victories over Battlefield and Stonewall. Host #11 Osbourn and Osbourn Park this week.
6. South County (10-4)–So far, so good in the tough Patriot District. We’ll have live radio coverage of their game at #14 Fairfax Tuesday, then the Stallions host #10 Lake Braddock Friday.
7. West Potomac (10-3)–Now back at full strength, the Wolverines are starting to gut out close wins against good teams, like South Lakes and rival Hayfield. Three games this week.
8. Potomac School (8-5)–Back in action after a couple week hiatus this Friday, when the Panthers host Maret.
9. Potomac Falls (12-0)–Guys from NOVAHoopcast have a nice interview with Coach Jeff Hawes here. Host Tuscarora and travel to enigmatic Champe this week.
10. Lake Braddock (12-2)–Double-digit wins over #14 Fairfax, #17 Woodson and Westfield last week. A win over South County Friday puts the Bruins in the Patriot District drivers’ seat.
11. Osbourn (13-2)–Having a hard time getting healthy, falling to Madison at home but then recovering for a nice win at Battlefield. The game with Patriot Tuesday will be taxing, then the Eagles must play dangerous Stonewall Friday.
12. Episcopal (7-5)–Gave #4 SSSA a much tougher game than at Sleepy Thompson but still fell at home, 71-62. Seems like a very streaky team but the ingredients are still there for a nice postseason run if the Maroon can stay healthy.
13. Hayfield (9-4)–Lost a tough one to rival West Potomac on the road Friday but they’ll get another shot at home later at the Wolverines. Forward Daniel Peterson is really starting to assert himself in the paint for the Hawks.
14. Fairfax (13-2)–Looking forward to seeing the Rebels Tuesday in what should be a defensive struggle with #6 SoCo. Then another tough one with #17 Woodson at home on Friday.
15. Centreville (11-3)–Looks like the class of the class of the Concorde District after blowing out Oakton. Still, no nights off in that dangerous district.
16. Potomac (10-4)–The Panthers remain undefeated in Cardinal District play and continue to improve. Young guard Anthony Jackson is providing consistent scoring punch to go along with solid defense.
17. W.T. Woodson (8-6)–Host Robinson and visit #14 Fairfax this week. Cavaliers have the ingredients to beat just about anyone but have yet to show they can consistently defeat the upper echelon teams.
18. Wakefield (9-4)–Two home games this week including one versus a dangerous Edison team anxious for revenge after the Warriors beat the Eagles like seven times last year. We’re only exaggerating a little.
19. John Paul the Great (10-6)–Nice win for JPTG last week down two of its main guns, Jayden Hibbitt and Jared Perry, over Benedictine from Richmond. That may serve notice that the Wolves are a little deeper than we at first believed.
Others receiving votes–Marshall (10-5), South Lakes (8-6), Virginia Academy (10-8), Freedom-South Riding (10-4), Loudoun Valley (9-4), Riverside (12-2)